BBQSquirrel's Blog

My online poker adventures

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Blackjack is fun

For a 1-week stretch I dropped ~1k (5900+ to 4878) in my poker bankroll by playing too loosely and recklessly against good 6-max NL50 and NL100 opponents. So I decided to take a break in poker, and try my luck (read: skill) in blackjack at local casinos. The game was no-hole-card, except dealer BJ results in the loss of only the original bet even if you had split/doubled earlier in the hand. Late surrender, dealer hits soft 17, double after split allowed, resplit up to 4 hands.

August 1st was the funnest session. I played on the $5-min table, 2 spots for $10 each. At first there was nobody else at the table. I first bought in for $125, lost it all in a hurry to a hot dealer. Saw another $150 buy-in shrink to $25. I told myself, "Self. If I lose another $100 I am out of here." Fortunately it never came to that point.

Soon the table started filling up. My luck also took a turn for the better. I recovered to an approximate $225-250 before the following hand happened. I had 2 hands, one of them at the anchor position, of 18 and 12 respectively, against a dealer 2 (hitting is better than standing by ~2%). Basic strategy calls for a hit on the 12. So I did that, got a 10 and busted out. The dealer then took a 8 and then 10 to form a strong 20. An unspectacular hand. The only thing that drove me nuts were some mid-age Chinese lady mumbled to her friend, "That guy (I) is out to lunch.....why is he hitting the freaking 12 against the 2?". Of course I firmly believed in my knowledge, and had some choice of word for her.

Soon afterward the following hand developed. I had 20 and 16 against a dealer 7. I hit a miracle 5 to my dismal 16, only to next see the dealer pick up a 5 and a 9, which killed everybody including my 20. Had I stayed on my 16 dealer would have hit 17 instead.

Of course that drew some ire from the players again. I decided that I had enough from these yahooes and switched to a new table, where my luck was okay -- won maybe $50 during my stay there. There was one fair-looking, I guess mid-20s, Asian girl sitting to my left. She played a standard (read: bad) style. Didn't double down 11 against 9/10. Unsure whether to split 2/2 against 4, until I "strongly advised" (read: told) her to do so. She wound up standing at 13 and 14, and fortunately dealer busted with 2 straight face cards (otherwise I might experience some heat again).

Next, the player left of her got a blackjack against the dealer Ace. She said, "nice, go take even money." I interrupted, "no that's bad play". She looked at me like I was an alien. I continued, "come on, just do the maths." She nodded, unsurely. Smiling, I added, "nobody ever believes in me, though." Fun time trying to educate the fish.

Her boyfriend next came to her and said, "Geez I lost everything. See that lady dealer over there -- she just cleaned everybody out." Sure enough there was an empty table in the middle of the room. Looking dearly for faster action, I moved. Obviously I don't believe in the theory of a hot table/hot dealer.

It was an inauspicious start. First hand there I had 20/20, dealer showed T and hit a blackjack. Second hand, 20/19 against the dealer's 6. Payday? No, dealer hit 9-6 to form 21.

No worries. She soon returned to earth, and I heated up dramatically with good starting hands. I started to play 3 hands instead of my usual 2. There was also a cheerful caucasian, I say early 30s woman, who just joined. Every time the dealer busted she would high-5 every winner at the table.

One hand my first cards were 6, T and 7. I was sad to see the dealer pick up a Q. But my second cards were 4, Q and 2 giving me 3 nice hands (10/20/9). From there I ran my hands to 18/20/19. Dealer picked up a 7. $$$$$$.

The next key hand, I had $10-$15-$15 on 20/19/12 against a dealer 3. I stuck to basic strategy and hit the 12, in the process raising some eyebrows (casual players, as usual, think the correct play is to stand, which is not true). I got a really nice 8. Next guy stood his 20. More importantly dealer proceeded to draw K-3-9 to bust out. Had I stood on my 12 dealer would have gotten the dreaded 21. Woman invited a high-five. I smacked her really hard. She said "Wowowo don't hit me that hard I am not a man". "Come on, big play, big celebration." Everybody had a good time. The table atmosphere was great.

Afterwards I increased my bets on a few occasions based on card-counting, and each time I smoothly won out.

At the end I had a neat $700 in front of me. Coming back from behind really gave me a great feeling.

Here are the overall results:
July 25 +200
July 26 +200
July 27 +100
July 28 -100
July 31 +575
Aug 1 +325
Aug 2 -325
Aug 3 +75
Aug 4 +(somewhere between 300 and 700 can't remember)
Aug 5 +1000
Aug 6 +400

Damn, so much monies, don't know what to do.

Oh, BTW, I rebuilt my poker bankroll to $5600 with some solid play at NL100 full ring. Back in my NL25 full ring days I ran at 29/12. Nowadays I lowered that 29 to 22. That, followed by some better post-flop decisions, led to a winning record for the past 3 days. I'll post some hands later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nuveen said...

It seems like you know your basic strategy. If you ever plan to play at tables with different rules, I thought you might be interested in this:

www.hitorsplit.com

It hosts a Blackjack Basic Strategy game where you can practice your skills under different rule variations. It even allows you to customize the hands you are dealt for those trickier plays like hitting a 12 against a deuce or a three :-)

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home