BBQSquirrel's Blog

My online poker adventures

Monday, February 26, 2007

I lost some significant money Wednesday. I was running good, perhaps up $50 when I inexplicably went on tilt. It all started when I lost with AK against a maniac who requested time, called my 100BB preflop reraise all-in with ATs and then flopped a 10.

From there on I donked off 2 more buy-ins, 5-betting all-in preflop with QJ in a blinds battle, and stacking off with AJs unimproved vs an obvious flopped set. A nice session, which saw me peaked at $1990, turned into a debacle, as I left with $1860.

From there on I decide to play more SNG and fewer ring games. In ring games, especially at short-handed tables, I find myself taking bets/raises against me personally, and I inevitably go on tilt trying to exact revenge. In SNGs I usually only have to deal with my unbearable opponents for 45 minutes max. Also, in SNGs, preflop skill is much more important, and I think I am able to outplay my opponents in that area, especially when the blinds get big.

I had my share of good and bad luck during these SNGs. I'll usually make sure I can afford to take a bad coin-toss before I commit myself, and in this past weekend I won more than my fair share of these. Overall, I was able to translate solid aggressive plays into multiple payout finishes. The most memorable moment was finishing 2nd and winning $55 in a 45 man $6.5 Turbo, where I went from almost bubbling out to doubling up multiple times. Right now I have $1992 in my account. I'll try to post some complete SNG histories in the future.

Some of the more memorable hands:
SB vs BB, I needed to steal the blinds/antes, and pushed with 75. Opponent called with AA, board was 78872.
SB vs BB, I had like 2 BBs and wanted to move up in money. I pushed with 96, BB called with KQ, I turned a 9.
77, all-in against AQ, board was 65244, opponent missed his flopped FD.

Some really bad beats that I took:
Early on, 44 against A8 who raised preflop, all-in on flop, board was 48AAx
Early on, 77 against KT, all-in on KT7 board, he rivered a 10 -- leaving me with $400 (and I managed to rebuild it up)
A9 in BB, I pushed, UTG limper insta-called with QJ. He turned 14 outs and rivered a J.
AT in BB, pushing over button who raised. He called with A7 and turned a 7.
JJ in BB, I pushed against 4 limpers, 2 of them called me with A5 and A6 respectivly. I flopped a set -- not good enough because A6 runner-runnered a straight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home